When We Limit Education, We Limit the Future

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you”

– B.B. King

Education is a very broad topic, there are many education systems, many rules and laws, there are many pros and cons to each system, and a lot of complicated work goes into making sure everyone being educated is safe and happy. You see, education is a human right, everyone deserves a good education, so creating a system where you can teach kids about how the world works is extremely important. If we can create a system where kids know how things work, how to act, and how to learn, then we have amazing potential.  

I personally have come to learn some very interesting things about Education, such as the fact that around 85% of kids are enrolled in public schools. This is very interesting to me, how a large percentage of the US’s children are enrolled in schools created by the government, yet so many of these schools are very underfunded of uncared for. School supplies such as pencils, staplers, art supplies, are bought by teachers. Food is brown mush with little nutrients. walls and ceilings are crumbling, and kids are unhappy and feel unsafe. Not to mention the hundreds of school shootings.  

It has also been very cool to have an epistolary exchange with Education–as I’ve noticed from looking at the writings that my topic of Education feels that a lot of things involving school have been changing, some things for the better, others for the worse. There is no excusing it, school is a lot different than it was a hundred years ago. the integration of more technology over the past couple years, for example, has been important, and a lot of growth has come out of it. 

It’s like how the introductory quote says, how no one can take learning from you, they can take away your school, your friends, family, your textbooks, computers, pencils, and erasers, but they can take your ability to learn. We learn something every day. With new experiences comes new knowledge, and with new knowledge comes new potential.  

by joining this movement, I believe you will come to also realize that education and learning is a right. People deserve the opportunity to be taught about the world around them, about history or math, science, reading and writing. When we take away those chances, those important opportunities, we limit the possibility of change, of correction. When we limit education, we limit the future. Therefore, we need to work harder smarter, and faster to make sure all kids are, or have the chance for learning and growth. We need to raise the next generation with knowledge, with wisdom and inspiration.  

You can contact me through my email: stantcec000@bellinghamschools.org 

Written by Cece Stanton